Wednesday, October 15, 2008

¡Bienvenidos a Guatemala!

That means ¨Welcome to Guatemala!¨ for those who didn´t know. :) I´m writing this from one of quite a few Internet cafes within walking distance of my home, so I should be able to stay connected fairly regularly. What a huge blessing!

Field Update (Prayer Necessities for the Skimmers):

1. That we would shine the light of Christ to those around us, particularly the host families with whom we will be living.

2. That we would be attentive and motivated in learning Spanish.

3. That we would grow in our personal relationships with the Father and that we would be unified in fellowship with one another so that God may be continually glorified.

4. Continue to lift up the Xtreme Team in Bolivia. They were able to go out into one of the indigenous communities this week. Pray that the hearts of the people would be prepared to hear the Truth of the Gospel.

Inquiring Minds Wanna Know (Bonus for the Readers):

It has been a very eventful and very tiring day... but a very good one! The long and the short of it is that all 12 of us have arrived here safe and sound, and we are still awaiting one more from the States who should be here shortly.

After much time spent in airports and a VERY packed car (I have great video that I´ll upload later), we arrived safely in Antigua, Guatemala. We saw our language school, and they will give us a tour of the city in the morning, followed by afternoon classes for the next couple of days. We begin morning classes, in addition to the afternoon sessions, early next week.

My host family is very sweet. The wife´s name is Odila, and the husband is Jorge. They also have a niece named Cristal, and there is another language student named Rianna who is staying with them.

I´ve only been here a few hours and can already feel the frustrations of not being able to speak the language. I want to speak with my hosts, as they are very hospitable. They certainly speak to me enough, but I mostly just nod my head and smile like I understand. Oh, and I say, ¨No comprendo¨... a LOT. :) I cannot yet communicate well enough to discern whether or not they are followers of Christ.

Thanks so much for your prayers, as they are greatly needed, greatly appreciated, and greatly felt. I truly want to be devoted to language study so that I can share the Gospel as quickly as possible. You are a vitally important part of this ministry!

1 comment:

The Pumpellys said...

Kelli-

I'm not great at posting comments each time I read a blog, but we are following your ministry and adventures closely and holding you up in prayer. We're a teensy bit jealous that you're there and we're still here, but all in God's timing. I'm at 7 months and still running strong. We'll start orientation in January and hope to hit African soil early April. Blessings on you in language school. I'm afraid the only words I can add to your vocab might not help too much: things like uterus, ovaries, kidneys, diarrhea, fever... but do let me know if I can ever be of assistance! =)

Miriam