Thursday, October 15, 2009

Bearing One Another's Burdens (6/27/09 - 7/3/09)

Great is the LORD and greatly to be praised:

October 15 was my first anniversary of my arrival on the mission field. God has been so faithful through the victories and trials of the last year, and I can't wait to see how He will continue to be so during the years to come.

Misty and Amy will be able to attend Quechua language school for six full weeks, thanks to the generous support of several of you. We are all so grateful for your generosity in these uncertain economic times!


The girls just arrived back in Sucre today after spending the last two weeks with other believers in a Quechua community about five hours away. (They are pictured here in their full Quechua attire, along with Leah, me, and our dear friend, Daria.) They had a difficult but fulfilling time as they spent time encouraging the body of believers and learning how to do many things they had never done before. We are so glad to have them safely back with us!


Prayer Necessities for the Skimmers:

1. All four of us will travel to the city of Cochabamba next week and begin language classes on October 26. Please pray that we would be able to learn Quechua quickly and efficiently and that we would be diligent to study and to practice the language.

2. Please pray for our upcoming Xtreme Team training, which begins November 22. This training is to teach Latin and North American missionaries how to reach som
e of the most unreached peoples in South America with the Gospel. Pray for wisdom for the trainers and for a willingness to learn on the part of the students.

3. Pray for the Lord to give us opportunities to make disciples during our time in Cochabamba. Pray that we would be able to share the Gospel with those who have not heard and to spur those who are believers into a deeper relationship with Him. Also, please pray that we
would be able to recruit some of those believers into His service among the Quechua in our province.

Inquiring Minds Wanna Know (Bonus for the Readers):

"Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." (Gal. 6:2)

One of the purposes of our training - and probably the main purpose - was to teach us how to truly be the body of Christ. In order to plant churches that look like the New Testament model, we first have to learn how to be that ourselves.

It's funny that I thought I already knew what that meant. Boy, h
ow much I still had to learn!

From the start, we were learning how to be unified. I mean, the Bible says we're supposed to do that, right? In fact, Jesus Himself prayed this for all of His future disciples:

"'My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.'" (Jn. 17:20-23)

OK, so we're supposed to "be brought to complete unity." But what does that even mean? Well, thankfully for us, Jesus defines it for us. It means to "be one." He uses that phrase twice in this passage.

The Bible never uses words lightly. It always means what it says.


And it says we are to be ONE.


Just think about that for a minute. No, really, stop RIGHT NOW, and think about it. What does that mean? What it
doesn't mean is living our lives separately as a group of individuals who may spend a little time together every so often but, in reality, just look out for ourselves. What it does mean involves doing whatever it takes to preserve what we have within the church... regardless of how much sacrifice is involved. It means ensuring that your brothers and sisters stay on the right path, confronting them with their sin even if it means offending them and li
stening and accepting when they confront you with yours. It means giving up the time that you wanted for yourself in order to encourage and comfort a hurting brother. It means forgiving your sister when she wrongs you and allowing nothing - not pride, not hurt, not anything - to disturb that unity. That ONEness.

On the very first day of our training (pictured here), we had to hike ten miles to our camp. In the pouring rain. That was bad enough, but Amy had no rain gear. The good news? Jeremy brought plastic to keep her from developing hypothermia in those conditions. The bad news? The plastic had a price. 200 push-ups, which could be paid by one person or divided up among all of us. Because he had begun the day by quoting Gal. 6:2 (remember that whole "carry each other's burdens" thing from the beginning of this post?), we chose to divide up the push-ups and do fifty apiece. But, as I got on my face in the mud, I have to tell you I wanted nothing more than for Amy to do her own push-ups.

But we were only beginning to learn this lesson. Jeremy had told us that we would each be the burden in some area, and that was so true.


In some areas, I was the strong one. For whatever reason, God has gifted me with the ability to memorize very easily, so it didn't take me long to learn our Bible stories. I could memorize a story in a few hours and have it down pat. But Lori struggled with it. She would spend hours each night trying to learn just a few lines but, despite the difficulty, she persevered.

And we were learning to carry that burden along with her. Sometimes that meant listening to her tell a story we'd heard a million times before, just to be sure she didn't forget it. Sometimes it meant rehearsing a new story over and over with her. Sometimes it meant doing the physical labor in camp so that she could have time to work on the stories on her own. Yes, it was a burden, but it would have been impossible for her to do it by herself. She needed us, or she wouldn't be able to complete the task to which God had called her.

As I watched all of that, I began to realize that this was the way God wanted it to be. None of us is an island. We all need each other, or we won't be able to fulfill the purpose God has for us, either.


But I'm hard-headed and often don't learn the things the Lord wants to teach me quite that easily. See, I didn't like being on the other side of the coin. I hated being the burden. Carrying other people, though it was hard, was much easier than being carried. My pride didn't want to be the one who had to be carried. I wanted to be the strong, self-sufficient one, the one who helped others but didn't really need help myself.

But the Lord wanted me to learn that lesson, too. It was probably the most important one He had to teach me.

I've mentioned several times that I hate running, and I'm not good at it. At all. But because I knew it was one of the requirements for the team, I trained nearly a year in advance to be able to run the four miles necessary. I ran three and four times a week to work my way up to that goal, and I eventually made it.


But then Jeremy decided to change the rules. We ran a shorter distance, but we had to run it in the time he set. If each person didn't meet the goal, everyone had to run an extra lap.


Now I should tell you some things about my teammates (Lori and Amy are pictured here, center and right, respectively). Amy was a cross-country runner in college, Leah did cross-country in high school and had been running for years, and Lori could just run like the wind. Me? Well, let's just say it was a rare day that saw me meeting the goal. But running an extra lap was no problem for any of them. They didn't mind it at all, but it drove me crazy, because it meant I was the burden they had to carry.

Then God helped me to realize that my desire to be self-sufficient, to not need anyone else, was exactly the
sort of rebellion He detests. Independence is telling Him that we don't need Him either because we can run our own lives.

Are you hearing me, Church? We
need our brothers and sisters in Christ. We cannot survive without them. We are not individuals; we are ONE. Or, at least, we should be. And the fact that we're often not is the reason Christ is not glorified.

How sad that we drag the unspeakably beautiful name of Jesus through the mud for the sake of OUR independence. How it must grieve His heart.


I know it does mine.


Let's change that. Whose burden will you help carry today? And who will you allow to help carry yours
?

3 comments:

Leah B. said...

So, so good to remember this - well, except for the really hard parts! - but a good reminder for how we ought to live now, too. I'm so grateful to have spent this last year with you, being the church together and carrying each other's burdens.

Amanda said...

good word. thanks.

praying for you guys. and love you.

Anonymous said...

What a great entry. I am encouraged and convicted by this entry. I can relate to what you are pointing out. It is so easy to forget to let others in and to allow them to help. Often my indepedence gets in my way. I believe that people see that I don't need help. I have to let the body of Christ see my needs. I have to let God control things and not me controlling things all the time. Thanks Kelli!
--- Dana