Sunday, May 1, 2011

Becoming All Things to All Men

Great is the LORD and greatly to be praised:

Leah and I were recently able to attend an evangelical conference in the small town of Pocoata. Though it was a slightly overwhelming cultural experience, it was a blessing to get to meet and spend time with a number of believers we did not know before. We were also able to advertise our upcoming women's evangelism conference, and we have a number of people who have expressed interest!

Prayer Necessities:

1.
Leah recently left for a three-week vacation in the States. Please pray that I would have wisdom to know what to do during this time in Sucre and that I would make disciples here.

2.
Please pray for Nelly and the remainder of the believers in Ayuma during this time when we are not with them. Pray that the stories we have taught them would come frequently to their minds and that they would meditate upon and obey the teachings in them. Pray that they would share those truths with others.

3. Pray that Leah would be encouraged during her time at home and that she would be able to encourage others as well.

Inquiring Minds Wanna Kno
w:

So, as you can probably tell from the title, I've been thinking a lot lately about Paul's wor
ds to the Corinthians in 1 Cor. 9:19-23:

"Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings."

In context, he is talking about how, as an apostle, he has the right to receive financial support from the church at Corinth, a church he himself planted, though he has never demanded that they fulfill this right. Instead, he has freely given himself to the Corinthians, sacrificing any rights he may have
had, so that the Gospel would may be advanced.

What has me thinking so much about this lately is wondering whether it's alright to lie about things in order to "become all things to all men." Here's my situation:

We go into the Quechua vil
lage where we're working and there for up to a month at a time. During that time, we dress in clothing similar to, though not EXACTLY like, theirs. We normally cook for ourselves but, from time to time, they bring us food which we, of course, are obliged to eat. We work alongside them in the fields or pasturing their animals and, at times, we are invited to watch Quechua music videos with them as entertainment (here is a typical church service, complete with an impromptu concert :)).

But here's the thing: I don't like Quechua music. No, it goes beyond that. I absolut
ely LOATHE it with every fiber of my being. It's screechy and uses too much off-key accordion, and I'd just as soon drive a stake through my right eye as spend an evening listening to it. And there are certain things that they eat that I'm not crazy about either, though most of the food is very good (pictured here is our friend Gabriel eating a normal meal).

So what should I do when they ask me whether I enjoy watching their music vi
deos? To tell the whole truth would be offensive, which would hinder the advancement of our work here. But I wonder if my enthusiastic, "Of course, I absolutely LOVE your music!" is leading me down a slippery slope towards the justification of dishonesty in the name of a higher cause.

So I just wanted to ask what y'all thought. What does it really mean to "become all things to all men"? Surely Paul didn't necessarily enjoy everything he ate or every song he heard, so how did he handle it? How did he do all of that for the sake of the Gospel, so that he could share in its blessings?

Would love to hear your input!

5 comments:

Sandy Kastel said...

How would your friends react to your introducing a few of your favorite songs? I totally agree you must be as honest as you can without brutalizing their
"music". But music is so important in preparing us for worship and learning that I would want to hear something soothing and uplifting to ME in my worship time, no matter where I am. Maybe just one or two of your most treasured pieces would open a door to them. If not, you will have at least responded positively and honestly to their questions to you.

Sandy Kastel

Annette said...

I wonder if some of the others don't like the music as well and would like to have your support in getting some new workship songs.

Kelli said...

Thanks for the input from both of you! Anyone else?

bren said...

hi kelli, gosh what a touchy issue. i like what sandy and annette said. and we really do teach people how to treat us. most foreign countries are hospitality driven so if you're telling them you love their music...they're going to lavish it on you. ; ) there are no perfect answers here. i think we are called to be quite tolerant in non-sinful issues. but as the others said, maybe there are ways to minimize the impact. is it possible to have a musical worship time prior to meeting with them &/or have their music first and then have your music. so you both add to the service? just some thoughts. but i think we know what you can't do and from that it's living in the freedoms you have!

Hadassah said...

yep...touchy subject. i wonder if you could say something that didn't personalize your response. instead of speaking about yourself, turn it around and speak about music in general and how you find it "fascinating" how different cultures create their own style and expression of music! i think bren is right in regards to hospitality in other countries and the people, i am sure, only want to ensure your are appreciating their culture. i mean, really what they want is for this american to validate the beauty they have carved out for themselves. if you can find a way to do that without being insulting and creating too much drama...you could become the next republican nominee! if you can do so without being insulting...but you need a little drama in your life.... you could be the first president of the US! WOOT! Good times str8 ahead! lol! =0)