Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Welcome to the jungle!

Yeah, you knew that was coming, didn't you? What can I say? I couldn't resist! :)

The LORD is great and greatly to be praised:

There was a wonderful time of refreshment and fellowship for the Xtreme Team women here in Guatemala this past weekend as we traveled to beautiful Lago Atitlan, a couple hours north of Antigua. We spent time in prayer and just got to know one another better, and we are all in awe of how the LORD has constructed this team so perfectly. I am so blessed to lead these ladies!

Prayer Necessities for the Skimmers:

These are the same as last week's, with one addition.

1. Pray for the Guatemalan Bible study, that God would bring the women to salvation and that He would use the new leaders, Ginny and Kerri, to bring Himself much glory in the study.

2. Pray for the Xtreme Team women, for unity and growth in the LORD during this time of training. Also, pray for that we would have the ability to learn the Bible stories quickly and well.

3. Pray for a great movement of God among the indigenous peoples of South America. Pray that He would prepare the hearts of a people who have no inkling about the One True God and that He would send forth laborers into those harvest fields.

4. And please pray for my parents, Garry and Denise, who are understandably apprehensive about being unable to communicate with me for the next few months. Pray that they would "be anxious for nothing" and that His peace, which passes all understanding, would guard their hearts and minds (Phi. 4:6-7).

Inquiring Minds Wanna Know (Bonus for the Readers):

I leave in a few hours going to Peru, and it's a little hard to process all the emotions I have (my counselor friend, Amy, would be proud of that statement! :)). This has been so long in coming that it's hard to believe it's finally happening.

I realized not too long ago that I need to blog about my call to join the Xtreme Team, and I intend to do that at some point. But for now, suffice it to say that the IMB's process is LONG. It was two years ago this very month that I officially applied to be a career missionary, but the call has been there for even longer.

So now that it's finally here, what am I thinking? Oh, somewhere in the neighborhood of a million things. Excitement, definitely. Anxiety about getting everything done before I leave. And, underneath it all, there's a certain level of fear.

On Friday, I will will leave Lima (big city, lots of people and civilization) for Puerto Maldonado (big jungle, lots of animals and insects). I will live there in the jungle for the next three months, washing my clothes and myself in the river, boiling and filtering water to drink, eating... hmm, I really have no idea what. What could possibly be frightening about all that? :)

You know, honestly, I think the most difficult part might be the lack of communication with my parents and with family and friends back home. As I make phone calls today that I won't get to make again for the next three months, as I grieve yet again in saying goodbye to people I love with everything I have within me, and as I wave goodbye to people here in Antigua who have become so very dear to me, there's a part of me that tries to tell me that it's too much pain and grief, that it's not worth it.

But the LORD reminded me of this passage a few weeks ago, and it hasn't left my mind since:

"Still another said, 'I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say good-by to my family.' Jesus replied, 'No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God'" (Lk. 9:61-62).

I don't want to look back. Instead, I want to be fit for His service so that He can use me to accomplish His will. I want to see His kingdom come and His will be done on earth as it is in heaven. More than anything, I want to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant," when I cross the finish line. And, yes, it's absolutely worth it.

So if I don't respond to your communication for about three months, please don't be angry or concerned. I will look forward to reading and responding when I'm out of the jungle. And please remember to pray, even though I'm incommunicado!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i know it is a little late to respond to this blog, but i must. you are and always will be amazing to me! i can't believe my sista friend and roomie is living in the jungle!!! what in the world???!!!!??? :)

you have great humility and G-d is using you in a mighty-mighty way! you are worthy of service because your heart is set on just that....service to Him!

i can only imagine all the things you are going through and am excited for you in how He must be growing and stretching you!

i bet i wouldn't even recognize you when i see you again....well, except for the street lingo...that prolly won't change at all!!! :)

yo-yo-yo! wassup! :)


love you more than ever!!

sheena

may the peace of HaShem be with you now and always, guiding you in His perfect wisdom and strength.