Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Meet the girls

The LORD is great and greatly to be praised:

He has sustained me for the last three months during one of the hardest periods of my life, and I have learned as never before just how sufficient His grace can be!

Prayer Necessities for the Skimmers:

"Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field" (Matt. 9:38). Please ask specifically that He would send female Latin and indigenous workers to our team.

Inquiring Minds Wanna Know (Bonus for the Readers):

First of all, let me say that it is GREAT to be back! I've missed communicating with you all
so much, but I did manage to spend some time writing blogs over the last few months in anticipation of having communication access once again. I've learned so much from the Lord and have much to share, so you'll have to bear with frequent blog updates for the next few weeks.

Second, I'll go ahead and say that I'll be away from communication access again starting in late May and probably won't be around a computer again for a couple of months. This will be a recurring thing, I think, but certainly worth it to spread the Good News of Christ to the ends of the earth!

OK, on to it. Before telling you what I've been doing the last three months, I want you to meet the missionaries I'll be leading and working alongside for the next two years. I've posted some pictures so you'll have a visual on who I'm talking about. So here goes:


1.
Leah (far right in the picture above): A career missionary from Louisiana, Leah is the team nurse and my partner. Her job will be split between attending all of the team's training sessions (twice yearly) and helping me lead our girls' team.

2.
Misty (center in pictures above and below): A 24-year-old journeygirl* from Mississippi. A pastor's daughter, she has a powerful testimony of how the LORD rescued her from a wild lifestyle in college. She is blessed with artistic ability but feels terribly inadequate for the Xtreme Team. Because she recognizes that, I believe God will use her in mighty ways here.

3.
Amy (2nd from right above, far right below): A 23-year-old journeygirl* from North Carolina. Another pastor's daughter, Amy is the funniest member of our team. Dramatic to the core, she is a naturally gifted storyteller and has us in stitches with every yarn she spins. This will be a great blessing as we share God's Word orally in the form of stories.

4.
Lori (left in picture below): A 26-year-old journeygirl* from Thailand. Lori is a missionary kid who grew up in Thailand and went to college in South Carolina. Her major was ourdoor leadership, which is basically learning how to survive in the wilderness. Can you she how God has equipped her to be a part of this team? She has already been a great blessing when we needed help starting fires and cooking in the jungle.

God has uniquely called and equipped each of these women for this task, but "gringas" (white women) are not the ideal people to really ignite the fire so that the work will spread. The Bolivian nationals and, ideally, the indigenous are the people we need to catch the vision for planting churches among the Quechua of Bolivia. Upon entering the Quechua communities, they will not be viewed as outsiders nor struggle with basic survival, culture shock, and cultural and language barriers. "Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field" (Matt. 9:38). Please ask specifically that He would send female Latin and indigenous workers to our team.

* Journeyman/girl: A two-year program with the IMB that has young people aged 22-29 going overseas as missionaries. We have journeypeople all over the world. Cool, huh? :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Kelli,
It is soooo great to hear from you again! I have missed your updates and just praising the Lord for the work He is doing in you and through you. I am praying for blessings and unity for your whole crew! God is so good and so worthy of any sacrifice! I cannot express in words how proud I am of you.
I love you,
Melanie

Todd said...

SUUUWEEEEET!!!!!!
I'm thankful you're back safely and I'm sure enjoying some recuperation. I can't wait to hear more details of your training time...unless they are the kind of details that will be followed by you killing me of course:) I'm looking forward to more updates!
Todd

Charlie Sell said...

Hey there Tia Kelli. Great to hear from you again and see your team. Mary, the kids and I are still doing well here in Language School, and love hearing from our friends around the world. Especially Extreme M's like you. We'll be looking forward to reading more of your adventures with you team and the Father.
Blessings,
Charlie, Mary and the bunch

Eric K said...

Yeah!! It is so good to hear from you again! Praise the Lord for the great stories I look forward to reading about! I'll shoot you an email to let you know what is going on in our lives.