Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Learning to Be Grateful (3/22/09 - 4/6/09)

The LORD is great and greatly to be praised:

A major spiritual victory was won in the life of one of our journeygirls. She was able to overcome some depression and serious consideration of transferring to another missionary assignment here, but the Lord revealed, through His Body (i.e., us), that she should remain with the Xtreme Team. She decided to continue with us and is ready to persevere.

Prayer Necessities for the Skimmers:

We have had fierce spiritual warfare going on with our team for the last week. As mentioned above, one team member has debated transferring, while another is having intense nightmares every time she goes to sleep. Our enemy, that roaring lion who seeks to devour us (1 Pet. 5:8), is not pleased that we are entering his territory to try to reclaim for the One Who is truly its Lord. Please pray that we would continue to be bold in the face of such opposition and that our girls would remember that the victory is ours. It is only a matter of time!

Inquiring Minds Wanna Know (Bonus for the Readers):


One of the most poignant lessons I've learned from my time of training is how to be grateful. And it's been hard to realize just how spoiled and
ungrateful I've always been. I am definitely a "take-things-for-granted" kind of person, and I've had to repent of that several times. How is it that you never realize how much you appreciate something until you are deprived of it? I am definitely a "take-things-for-granted" kind of person, and I've had to repent of that several times. So I wanted to take this time to publicly acknowledge the people and things for which I'm grateful:

1.
God's Word. The LORD has sustained me these past three months with His Word in ways I have never known before, and it has been the sweetest time with Him.

"The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes. The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous" (Ps. 19:7-9).

2.
My parents (pictured here). I have known for years what a blessing they are, and I know that any of you who know them personally will wholeheartedly agree. Their example of obedience to the LORD and their continuous wisdom have been life-changing for me. Being deprived of communication with them for the last three months (except for one 15-minute phone call in the middle) was the single most difficult of this experience. So, Mom and Dad, I just wanted to tell you publicly how much I missed you and how much I appreciate you both.

3.
My home church, and especially the single adults there (pictured below). I don't want to list people for fear of unintentionally missing someone, but you know who you are. I miss all of you so much and am so excited to be able to communicate with you again. Paul captured my sentiments perfectly:

"I thank my God every time I remember you... It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart... God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus" (Phil. 1:3, 7, 8).

4.
Clean water. After having to filter or boil water to ensure I won't get sick if I drink it, I so appreciate the US with its pure water from the tap. So, the next time you complain about the taste of Chesapeake water, just thank the Lord for the cleanliness of that water.

5.
Showers. Particularly those with hot water. Let me assure you, there IS nothing better. :)

6.
Running water. Is there a theme here? :) Seriously, it's so much easier to wash your hands under running water. And I have SO come to appreciate clean hands. I've missed those. :)

7.
Washing machines. I think maybe cleanliness is the theme here. :) It's just so much easier to wash my clothes in a machine than over a rock in the river. And they smell so much better afterwards. :)

8.
Music in my heart language. I have over 1000 songs on my computer , but I haven't had access to them for the last three months. I never realized how important it is to me to sing praises to the LORD in English. I can still do that with a variety of hymns I remember from my childhood, but I really have missed my music. OK, I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

The Bible tells us OFTEN to be thankful, and I just wanted to remind everyone of a few of the blessings we have that we so often take for granted. I recently heard a quote that really caught my attention: What if all I had tomorrow was what I thank God for today? How about the air you breathe, the food you eat, the family you love, the job you complain about?
I think, more commonly, we just assume those things will be there and never really appreciate the God from Whom all good gifts come (Jas. 1:17). Don't do that! Thank Him, for He has blessed you greatly!

"Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men, for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things" (Ps. 107:8-9).

9. And, finally, this is my absolute favorite spot in all of Lima, and I love seeing it every time I return. I'm also thankful for American fast food! :)

2 comments:

Laura said...

It seems to me that Satan's attack is so great because he knows that the potential harvest from your efforts can be enormous. May the Lord continue to sustain you all, and help us to be faithful in holding you up before Him in prayer. It is a humbling privilege to pray for you guys.

Anonymous said...

i believe G-d is doing mighty things all over the earth, and the advesary is seeing how limited his time has become. i will lift all of you in prayer!

i am grateful for friends who have put Messiah and His will above all else...